Relatively few local dentists practice authentic holistic or biological dentistry. And even fewer have stopped using dangerous silver amalgam metal fillings. These fillings contain mercury, which is a dangerous toxin that can do serious harm to your health. If you’re searching for a dentist to remove mercury fillings, Dr. Tyler Wynne of Carolinas BioHealth Dentistry is just the one for the job! His natural approach to dentistry is why he’s among the most trusted dental professionals in the business.
Amalgam comprises mercury, tin, silver, zinc, and copper. And while it’s deemed safe by the FDA and the ADA, many people—including dentists—aren’t convinced. All amalgam fillings are made up of close to 50 percent mercury, a highly toxic element.
Once more, there is really no such thing as a “safe level of exposure.” Therefore, your old silver amalgam fillings may cause harm to your health, especially if you are allergic and unaware of your allergy.
A WHO (World Health Organization) report in 2005 raised troubling concerns about mercury, citing potential harmful effects on a range of systems, such as the respiratory, digestive, nervous, and immune systems, as well as the kidneys.
According to the report, mercury can also cause lung damage. These harmful effects can lead to impaired vision and hearing, paralysis, tremors, insomnia, emotional instability, and developmental issues in fetuses and children, such as attention deficit and developmental delays. Recent studies have shown that mercury may not have a safe threshold, meaning even small exposures can have damaging effects.
The SMART protocol, which stands for “Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal Technique,” was developed by the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology or IAOMT. This organization comprises a worldwide network of healthcare professionals, dentists, and researchers with a joint mission to protect the environment and public health from the dangerous effects of amalgam fillings composed chiefly of mercury.
The SMART protocol helps to minimize the mercury exposure associated with amalgam fillings. These fillings are a source of mercury for two reasons. Firstly, mercury enters the body when a person has a cavity repaired with amalgams.
Secondly, mercury is released at higher levels when the filling is heated, such as when consuming hot food and drinks. IAOMT research has identified over 250 symptoms and medical conditions linked to mercury exposure from dental amalgams.
Removing mercury fillings can present risks to patients, the dental team, and the environment. Drilling and other conventional techniques to remove the fillings can heat them, releasing higher mercury levels into the air. To minimize these risks, it is essential to use protective measures, which is where SMART comes in.
Carolinas BioHealth Dentistry is dedicated to providing our patients with the best care and environmental stewardship possible. We have invested in the necessary protective garments, tools, and equipment to ensure safe mercury removal and minimize the number of mercury vapors and particles released into the office and surrounding environment.
Our team has also perfected the safest techniques in mercury removal, such as sectioning amalgam into large chunks to reduce mercury particulate matter in the air. We proudly are SMART certified and confident in providing quality, safe patient care.
To learn more about how we can safely remove your amalgam fillings, call Carolinas BioHealth Dentistry at (336) 793-0577 and schedule your consultation with Dr. Wynne today. Our office is at 100 Stadium Oaks Drive, Suite A, Clemmons, NC.